Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Work in Progress: Double Stripe Cuff

Over the past year, I’ve had a great time sharing a glimpse of my projects in progress in a Weekly Bead Tray photo on Facebook. When I started, I didn’t think that half of a herringbone cuff was all that interesting, but these snapshots always seem to spark some interesting bead talk. Therefore, I’ve decided it’s time to expand on the idea, and bring things here to the blog, where we can get a closer look at what’s going on at my workspace.

This week, I’m taking a quick break from the Egyptian Gods series challenge with a simple herringbone cuff. It was one of those middle of the night ideas that couldn’t be ignored. I was in the mood for stripes, and that’s all there was to it. I knew there had to be black and white, and I wanted to contrast that with perpendicular stripes in other opaque colors. After some tasting and shuffling of different colors, I finally decided on medium blue and light olive green.

Herringbone Cuff In Progress


As I was putting together the first two rows in a double ladder to start the bracelet, I was caught by a sudden urge to just keep adding columns and make a really wide cuff. It’s been awhile since I’ve made a bracelet that was really bold in this way, and it seemed like a great idea at the time. We’ll see how I feel about this idea after I’ve been at it for a week!

Copyright 2013 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


6 comments:

  1. Its going to look great when its finished! I love the colors you picked.
    ~Kelsy
    http://looseendscraftblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colors, too. The green (on my monitor) reminds me of the peas coming out of my garden right now. Mixed with the blue, it's a very spring/summer feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently mastered the herringbone stitch and absolutely love it. Have to say it rates up there with peyote which is my usual go to stitch. This cuff is beautiful. Are you doing it in sections and then putting it together or are you doing it all at one time? If it is the second option, how are you changing directions with the beads? I'm rather new at this, sorry if that is a silly question, just trying to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all one panel of flat herringbone, but with a pattern of vertical and horizontal stripes. This stitch takes geometric patterns really well, but with the horizontal stripes the herringbone shape of the stitch really stands out, so the sections look very different.

      Delete
  4. And it still looks Egyptian! I love seeing your work. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!! very different and striking!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com